Contact Information

Port-of-Spain,
Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

We Are Available 24/ 7. Email Us.

THE Government has set out a Request for Proposals (RFP) for a primary Point Fortin project, but sources say a preferred contractor has already been identified. 

The project is the base building works of Point Fortin Administrative Centre. 

The multi-million-dollar undertaking is being managed by the corruption-scarred Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDECOTT). 

Interested bidders have been invited to an online information session related to the Request for Proposals (RFP). 

The deadline for submission of bids is November 28. 

The project, which includes renovation and repair of a commercial and office building, is earmarked to be completed in a year. 

The qualification criteria includes experience in two similar projects of a minimum value of $17 million. 

The interested bidder must have previously provided and installed similar machinery. 

“The $17 million barrier means that small and medium-sized contractors have no chance of being successful,” said a knowledgeable source who examined the RFP. 

“This appears to be a sham process to meet the requirements of the procurement law,” the source said. 

“The $17 million barrier suggests that a preferred bidder has already been lined up.” 

A total of 30 points has been assigned for meeting the $17 million criteria, 20 for project experience by the bidding company and 10 for human resources previously undertaking such works. 

UDECOTT is undertaking several other public problems, are there are similar concerns about attempts at bid rigging. 

The ventures include upgrade of Brian Lara Promenade and Broadway, electrical and landscaping at International Waterfront Centre, and construction of a car park at Port of Spain General Hospital. 

Experts said that while new public projects must meet the stipulations of the procurement law, the design of the RFP could lead to the short-listing of certain preferred bidders and exclusion of others. 

UDECOTT was associated with corruption values at hundreds of millions of dollars during the tenure of the PNM administration of 2007 to 2010. 

Share:

editor

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *