PRIME Minister Dr. Keith Rowley has started signing off from the job.
Rowley is spending less time at his Whitehall office and is devoting energy to preparing his sprawling Goodwood Park, Glencoe family home for re-occupation.
A contractor is at work on the home, from which Rowley and his family moved out following the PNM’s September 2015 general election victory.
Rowley’s work schedule is lighter than ever, informed sources said.
“He seems to have mentally retired,” a source said of the 75-year-old national leader.
“He clearly wants to ride off into the sunset.”
He has lately been seen more often than usual at the Prime Minister’s official residence in St. Anns.
There is currently a light parliamentary agenda.
A source said Rowley will not campaign with the ruling PNM for the upcoming general election.
The PNM has selected most of its candidates.
Incoming Prime Minister Stuart Young is heavily involved in campaign activities.
Young led a walkabout in the Sangre Grande-Toco constituency last week with candidate Roger Munroe.
He will walk with other candidates, especially in marginal constituencies, an informed source confirmed.
He will also participate in certain events aimed at showing a united and strong party, the source said.
Knowledgeable sources said Rowley is anxious to spend more time with his family, including his grandchildren, and friends, to travel and play golf.
He has not given an official date for his retirement but stated that it will take place following a scheduled meeting of Caricom leaders.
Caricom heads of government are due to hold their 48th regular meeting in Barbados from February 19 to 21.
It is expected that the leaders will pay tribute to Rowley.
There is speculation on whether or not Rowley will retire before Carnival, which will be celebrated on March 3 and 4.
There is also conjecture on whether he will preside over the launch of a few major projects that are planned within the next few weeks.
The billion-dollar rebuilding of the Central Block of Port of Spain General Hospital, a flagship project, is scheduled to be commissioned on March 28 even though construction works are not yet completed.
A gala event is being planned.
Construction of the terminal building of A.N.R. Robinson Airport is being speeded up.
The expansion of Solomon Hochoy Highway is well past its scheduled completion date of last August.
Works Minister Rohan Sinanan recently said the project is 70 per cent completed.
Other infrastructural projects are being fast-tracked.
The mid-year budget review is expected within the next few months.
The government currently has a major cash flow problem as a result of declining energy production and faltering prices.
There has been tension at recent meetings of the Finance and General Purposes Committee of Cabinet because of the inability to fund several projects.
Finance Minister Colm Imbert is expected to borrow to finance recurrent and capital works in the second half of the fiscal year.
Sources could not say whether the PNM will host a farewell function for its departing leader and prime minister.
The PNM has selected broadcaster Hans des Vignes to contest the Diego Martin West constituency that Rowley has represented since 1991.